700 years of history between Fribourg and the Carthusian monastery La Valsainte
A beautiful hiking tour from Fribourg to the monastery of La Valsainte, a trip back in time to a wonderful historic region.
A pilgrimage from the center of Fribourg to the monastery La Valsainte, passing over the Col de la Balisa, and its authentic alpine pastures.
Transport: Bus TPF train station of Fribourg (route 123 or 127), Lac Noir, La Balisa, Le Pré de l’Essert, La Valsainte, postbus to the turnoff Cerniat or Charmey, bus TPF to Fribourg. The tour can be conducted in both directions.
Mountain cabin offering basic provisions:
Chalet de la Balisa
Hotels and restaurants:
La Pinte des Mossettes, le Four de l'Adde in Cerniat and the Auberge de la Berra
Route not open all year
Travel-date details/validity: view Timetable information
From the beginning of May to mid October, two round trips between Charmey and La Valsainte, also on Saturdays, Sundays, and public holidays.
Purchase your ticket easily in the PostBus App.
Download the PostBus App now
View timetable online
Bicycle transport fixtures available in/on the vehicle. You can find more information at Biking and Postbus
No guarantee of wheelchair access to the postbus
Region Western Switzerland
Avenue de la Gare 6
P.O. Box 906
0848 40 20 40 (national rate)
The Black Lake is a natural lake of approx. 0.5 km2. Its romantic situation surrounded by mountains makes it an attractive destination for nature lovers and families.
+41 26 412 13 13
The chapel dedicated to Saint Garin was constructed between 1560 and 1570. Saint Garin was an excellent veterinarian. He was often invoked to heal and protect domestic animals: for many centuries, farmers would come to Le Pré de l'Essert from far away in order for the monks to bless their cattle in the name of Saint Garin.
Tourism office Charmey
The Carthusian monastery La Valsainte (Latin: Vallis Sanctorum Omnium , later Vallis Sancta) is the only still functioning monastery of this order in Switzerland. La Valsainte is listed in the Federal Inventory of Swiss Heritage Sites.