13th Folk Culture Festival Obwald 2018
Press release, 17.06.2018
After Mali, Sardinia, Georgia and Mongolia, we are happy to welcome Portugal as our special guest, the 5th country from among the UNESCO list of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
Thursday, 28 June – Sunday, 1 July 2018 in Giswil, Obwalden
Hailing from Serpa, one of Portugal’s oldest choirs, the ‟Coral da Casa do Povo de Serpaˮ with its ‟Cante Alentejanoˮ will be performing.
To have Portugal as a guest would be unthinkable without a fado singer. This is why we are especially pleased to present Ana Sofia Varela, who was born in Serpa and is famous far beyond the borders of Portugal.
Beside many of the finest yodlers from central Switzerland, Appenzell Ausserrhoden and Toggenburg, as in other years a gifted musician will receive a carte blanche for his appearance at the Obwald festival. This year it is accordionist Simon Lüthi from Toggenburg. Accompanied by his brother Mathias, his sister Claudia, and some of his friends, he will perform a program created especially for the Folk Culture Festival Obwald.
Another highlight is the yodeling family Sutter. Father, mother, and their five children are a vivid example of the generation-transcending tradition of the nature yodel as they perform their ‟Rugguserliˮ and ‟Zäuerliˮ.
Getting there by public transport
Sarnen can be easily reached by train which operate every half hour from Lucerne and every hour from Interlaken Ost. Timetables
SHUTTLE BUSES SARNEN – GSANG (FESTIVAL SITE) 28 June – 1 July 2018
Thursday – Saturday, trip out:
- Sarnen arr.: 17.38/46h / 18.38/46h / 19.08/24h (from Lucerne)
- Sarnen train station dep.: 17.48 h / 18.48 h / 19.26 h
- Gsang arr.: 18.08 h / 19.08 h / 19.46 h
Thursday – Saturday, trip back:
- Gsang dep.: 22.55 h / 23.30 h
- Sarnen arr.: 23.13 h / 23.45 h
- Sarnen dep.: 23.19 h / 23.49 h (direction Lucerne)
Sunday, trip out:
- Sarnen arr.: 09.32 h (from Interlaken)
- Sarnen arr.: 09.38 h / 10.08 h / 10.38 h (from Lucerne)
- Sarnen train station dep.: 09.40 h / 10.10 h / 10.40 h
- Gsang arr.: 10.00 h / 10.30 h / 11.00 h
Sunday, trip back:
- Gsang dep.: 15.55 h / 16.30 h
- Sarnen arr.: 16.15 h / 16.45 h
- Sarnen dep.: 16.19 h / 16.49 h (direction Lucerne)
- Sarnen dep.: 16.24 h (direction Interlaken)
The use of the shuttle buses is free of charge. The regular means of transport according to the Zentralbahn/PostBus timetables have to be paid for.